Generally speaking, the answer to this question is yes; a parent can refuse to accept child support. Most courts encourage parents to cooperate with each other and will not stand in the way of any agreements the parents reach, however, there are some exceptions to this rule. The main exception is if the child support agency is a party to your case. In that event, the agency will also need to agree with whatever arrangement you and your ex spouse make.

A child support agency would become a party in your case if one of the parents or the children are receiving state aid (food stamps, daycare assistance, badger care insurance, etc.). In this situation, even if you do not want child support, the child support agency may still request it and the court can still order it. At, we suggest that you consult with an attorney if you are in this situation.

Navigating child support can be very difficult. You should be sure that you know what you are doing before you head into court.